Search for yet another fishing vessel crew member called off near Mossel Bay; condolences extended to Namibian family: SAMSA

Pretoria: 02 May 2024

The Maritime Rescue Coordinating Centre (MRCC) at the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) Cape Town based Centre for Sea Watch & Response (CSW&R) has extended its condolences to the Namibian family of a fisherman who reportedly went overboard a fishing vessel and presumed dead in South African sea waters on Monday this week.

The sorrowful statement by MRCC Cape Town came with confirmation on Wednesday that a day and night search for the seafarer had been abandoned, with little or no hope of his recovery.

According to the MRCC Cape Town, this was a tragic end to yet another incident in this south-western ocean region of South Africa where, in a space of two weeks, yet another fisher disappeared into the ocean after reportedly falling overboard a fishing vessel.

In an earlier incident on or about 19 April 2024, a skipper of a rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB)was confirmed to have passed away after the watercraft in which he was sailing along with two (2) others, reportedly capsized after it was hit by a huge wave at sea in a location of approximately 1.5 nautical miles south of Oliphantsbospunt in the Western Cape.

Shortly after that incident, on 26 April 2024, another fishing vessel, named FV Oceana Amethyst, with 22 crew members onboard, also reportedly experienced problems while out at sea in a location of approximately 20 nautical miles west north- west of Slangkoppunt also in the Western Cape. such that it sank almost immediately due to water intake that reportedly started sipping through its engine room. Fortunately, during that incident, all 22 crew members were rescued on time.

Regarding the latest incident involving the Namibian fisherman, the MRCC said on Tuesday that the casualty occurred on Sunday, 28 April 2024 and shortly after which efforts also involving other nearby vessles, were made to assist the crew of the FV SEAWIN DIAMOND, while out at sea in an ocean location of approximately 142 nautical miles south of Mossel Bay.

“MRCC Cape Town was notified at 22:41 on 28 April by Telkom Maritime Radio of a Man Overboard (MOB) reported by the FV SEAWIN DIAMOND. The vessels position was reported to be approximately 142 NM South from Mossel Bay,” said the MRCC on Wednesday.

It said: “Whilst the vessel was busy setting fishing gear, the captain was alerted by the crew of the MOB incident and a MOB Marker buoy was deployed.

“The Namibian citizen was last seen wearing oil skin and boots but not a life jacket. The casualty vessel tracked the marker buoy in an effort to find the person in water (PIW). An observation of something green, presumed to be an oil skin, was seen disappearing under water but it could not be confirmed to be the PIW.

“A MAYDAY Relay was issued by MRCC Cape Town through Telkom Maritime Radio wherein vessels were requested to divert and render assistance in search of the PIW. The FV BLUEBELL was requested to divert to the reported incident from a position 67NM to the West.

“MRCC Cape Town developed a search area, based on the environmental factors and the time it would take the BLUEBELL to arrive at the incident location, and assigned a relevant search pattern.

“The Search Action Plan was communicated to the BLUEBELL, and it conducted a search along the drift track of the MOB buoy while proceeding to the assigned commence search point. MRCC Cape Town was notified by sunset on 29 April that the BLUEBELL and the SEAWIN DIAMOND had completed their search assignments, with MRCC Cape Town issuing revised search instructions to both vessels in preparation for a nighttime search.

“The nighttime search efforts had to be abandoned due to the lack of night search capabilities of both fishing vessels. MRCC Cape Town requested the frequency of the MAYDAY Relay broadcasted by Telkom Maritime Radio to be increased in the hope that additional resources shall respond.

“With no response to the MAYDAY Relay by 06:00 on 30 April 2024, the distress message was downscaled to an urgency message notifying vessels of the probable search area wherein sightings relating to the missing crewman could be made.

“Unfortunately, by 18:00 on 30 April 2024, with no additional information or sighting reports, all SAR efforts were cancelled with the missing person presumed drowned,” reported the MRCC Cape Town.

The centre added: “MRCC Cape Town expresses condolences to the family and friends of the missing crew member.”

End

Search fully underway in the Atlantic Ocean for a group of six people reportedly missing at sea: SAMSA

Fisheries vessel, Ruth First; among several in the Atlantic Ocean in an all out search since Monday, for group of six people reportedly missing at sea on Sunday about 100km west of Cape Town (File Photo)

Pretoria: 25 March 2024

An all out search for a group of about six (6) people believed to be missing at sea about 100km west of Cape Town in the Atlantic Ocean after their Rhib ran out of fuel, is currently underway, with at least two vessels Fisheries vessels deployed on Monday afternoon to assist, the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) confirmed.

In a statement, the Maritime Rescue Coordinating Centre (MRCC), based at SAMSA Centre for Seawatch and Response, reports that on Sunday around noon it was notified of an overdue eight (8) meter RHIB, light gray in color, with six (6) persons onboard.

“The craft had reportedly run out of fuel and provided a Last Known Position (LKP) of approximately 100km south-west from Cape Point light as reported late Saturday afternoon.

“Telkom Maritime Radio was requested by MRCC Cape Town to issue a MAYDAY Relay wherein vessels were requested to report sightings of the overdue craft. Unfortunately, due to the distance of the estimated Search Area from shore, MRCC Cape Town could not task resources, and relied on vessel of opportunity as identified on the SAMSA Automated Identification System (AIS).

“The MT HYUNDAI PRINCE  and the FV ALLISON were requested to divert to the LKP. Unfortunately nothing was found. MRCC Cape Town suspended search efforts due to nightfall.

“Search and Rescue efforts continued from early this (Monday) morning. An updated Search Area of approximately 6,296.8 kmsq was developed, and the Fisheries Patrol vessel RUTH FIRST and ELLEN KHUZWAYO were requested to assist. Both vessels shall commence search by late this afternoon.

“The MAYDAY Relay has been updated with the current estimated search area, requesting vessels to assist in finding the overdue craft, and for responding vessels to report to the On-scene Coordinator vessel  RUTH FIRST,” said the MRCC Cape Town.

End