SAMSA’s Centre for Sea Watch and Response (CSWR) is the focal point in the arena of maritime domain awareness.
Located in Cape Town, the Centre’s function involves the monitoring of shipping to ensure safety of navigation and protection of the marine environment so as to protect South Africa’s maritime region.
Core functions include:
- Carry out Search and Rescue (SAR) functions & responsibilities Search and Rescue
- Implement systems for surveillance of the maritime domain – vessels safety, vessel security, oil pollution prevention, detection and combating
- Maintain Marine Domain Awareness
- Manage Maritime Communication system for SAR requirements and radio communication with shipping
- Monitor coastal and offshore maritime activities
- Regulate coastal and inland waterways Aids to Navigation (AtoN), including Vessel Traffic Services (VTS)
- Consultation with the SA Hydrographer with regard to the annual hydrographic programme
- Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC),
- Intervention and Navigation.
For more details on the functions of the centre click here